Backyard Aquaponics - Home Aquaponics - Commercial Aquaponics
|Basic Principles of Solar Greenhouse Design|
Solar greenhouses differ from conventional greenhouses in the following four ways.(1) Solar greenhouses:
* have glazing oriented to receive maximum solar heat during the winter.
* use heat storing materials to retain solar heat.
* have large amounts of insulation where there is little or no direct sunlight.
* use glazing material and glazing installation methods that minimize heat loss.
* rely primarily on natural ventilation for summer cooling.
Understanding these basic principles of solar greenhouse design will assist you in designing, constructing, and maintaining an energy-efficient structure. You can also use these concepts to help you search for additional information, either on the "Web," within journals, or in books at bookstores and libraries.
This information is courtesy of ATTRA - National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service